What are your thoughts on the four-day work week? Could it work for your workplace?

• George YangGeorge Yang
    Community Manager
      June 26, 2024 at 09:00
    • Caitlin Henderson, PCPCaitlin Henderson, PCP
      Advocates Council

It could work with some flexibility. I think it might have to be a week 1, week 2 schedule to accommodate payroll processing, or be flexible with which day was the day off. There would also have be considerations for the various departments and peak season. As an employee I think it is brilliant to have 3-days off. So often you spend an entire day of your weekend doing chores. I see some benefits from an employer point of view, pilot programs have had mixed results with some showing an increase in productivity whereas others have just shown an increase in stressed employees. I think to implement this successfully it has to be very flexible and there needs to be a culture of ‘just get your work done’ already in the company.

June 26, 2024 at 09:43
      • Denise BurnettDenise Burnett
        Member since Apr 2022

It would be difficult for our organization because we need to have services available to our clients every day of the week but it could potentially work if there was a rotating 4 days work week, where staff had different days off to ensure full coverage for the public.

June 26, 2024 at 11:47
        • Nadia BergenNadia Bergen
          Member since Jul 2024

Personally, a 4-day work week would be great. Not sure about working 10 hours per day as some days there is just not ‘enough’ information coming in compared to other days that feel like you are working with your hair straight back! Transition to rotating days off (Monday and Friday) to make long weekends would be terrific.

July 5, 2024 at 13:21