USA Payroll & Benefits Training & Resources

• Michelle WongMichelle Wong
    Member since Jun 2022

What course did you take to learn payroll and benefits in the US? Where did you take it and would you recommend it?

I have been trying to look into some courses but there are a ton out there and was hoping someone could help to recommend a course.

Also, where do you look for help with any questions you may have? Do you have a membership with the American payroll and/or benefits association?

August 30, 2023 at 13:12
    • Dana NairnDana Nairn
      Member since Sep 2023

I learned benefits through peers and by needing to configure the system to use them. Sometimes it’s as simple as reading up on the benefit handbook from the provider.

And for questions, it would depend what they’re related to.

October 24, 2023 at 18:02
      • Caitlin Henderson, PCPCaitlin Henderson, PCP
        Advocates Council

I agree with Dana, I learned about benefits by reading the documentation provided by our own benefits providers. I have only worked with Canadian Benefit Providers but they often have a help line that you can call and we have always had a case manager we could reach out to.

October 26, 2023 at 11:17
        • Caitlin Henderson, PCPCaitlin Henderson, PCP
          Advocates Council

Hi Michelle,

I remembered this website that I read through back when I started administering benefits https://www.clhia.ca/ it is Canadian but maybe you can find their sister American corporation. I also found reading through the websites of the top benefits providers in Canada was helpful as they had the most resources. A quick Google search came up with State Farm in the US, their website is quite large maybe you can find some answers there? Good Luck 😊

October 27, 2023 at 10:03
          • Mary CordeaMary Cordea
            Member since Sep 2022

This has been an interesting discussion. As someone who has the GBA through the CEBS program, I cannot stress the valuable information that the program provides when it comes to Canadian benefits. CLIHIA is the lobbying body for Canadian Insurers with some help for individual Canadians. I’ve learned to only use the carrier contract, not a booklet, to validate coverage and administrative practices. Canadian taxation is complex and will vary from province to province for not only benefits, but also for pension, and for employment law. http://www.ifebp.org and look for Canadian content. They also run a session a couple of times a year for Americans who manage Canadian benefits.

November 5, 2023 at 15:20
            • Nicole Forbes PLPNicole Forbes PLP
              Member since Sep 2022

Hello,

The NPI via the Payroll Org in the US has US-based payroll courses.

November 9, 2023 at 10:01
              • The topic ‘USA Payroll & Benefits Training & Resources’ is closed to new replies.