Savings Plan for employees over 71

• Stacey Wood PCPStacey Wood PCP
    Advocates Council

Does your company provide a savings plan for employees who age-out of pension plan participation?

With many employees wanting or needing to continue working past the “typical” retirement age, some are finding that they reach an age at which they may no longer participate in their company’s RPP (no later than Nov 30 of the year they turn 71, in Ontario).

What, if any, option does your company provide for these employees?

August 17, 2023 at 09:50
    • Maria ChengMaria Cheng
      Member since Apr 2023

This is an interesting topic. Nowadays, more people continue working past their normal retirement age or even past 71. I think the industry need to create some new products / plans for this group.

August 26, 2023 at 15:08
      • Michelle HarrisMichelle Harris
        Member since Sep 2022

We have Municipal Pension Plan where contributions stop at age 70. Employees are able to retire, collect their pension and still come back to work.

August 29, 2023 at 12:55
        • Tracy OlesTracy Oles
          Member since Sep 2022

Currently we do not offer any savings plan to anyone over 71, however, now that we have more employees age 71 and up, we have been looking into different things such as a matching TFSA plan (within the individuals annual limits), but so far we have not proceeded with anything as of yet. I have been with my organization for 18.5 years and only in the last few years has this been something that we have needed to start thinking about and address.

September 6, 2023 at 17:41
          • Cathy StinzianoCathy Stinziano
            Member since Apr 2022

We have a DPSP where the company makes a contribution once a year for employees. For these older employees, we pay the contribution to them as a bonus (of course, less taxes).

October 24, 2023 at 12:05
            • The topic ‘Savings Plan for employees over 71’ is closed to new replies.