Record of Employment

• Anonymous

What are the most common error when you issue an ROE?

July 13, 2023 at 21:09
    • Stacey Wood PCPStacey Wood PCP
      Advocates Council

Not so much an error, but often we’ll receive instruction to issue an ROE based on a termination, then weeks later receive instruction to pay out an additional amount to the terminated employee based on having received signature on a document. Employee has to be reactivated, payment issued, deactivated, previously issued ROE then amended–lots of room for error to occur.

July 19, 2023 at 09:22
      • Debbie DykstraDebbie Dykstra
        Member since Sep 2022

Same as Stacey. First day worked and last day worked errors were common at my previous employer which was retail so not too surprising to have that issue. Not an error, but it is especially challenging when we payout our annual bonus and have to amend all the ROEs for employees on leave. It’s such a cumbersome, time consuming process

July 27, 2023 at 14:05
        • Tinuola OlubunmiTinuola Olubunmi
          Member since Jun 2022

Another error is forgetting to add expense reimbursement to employees’ pay before terminating.

July 27, 2023 at 15:30
          • Wedian IbrahimWedian Ibrahim
            Member since Sep 2022

Overlapping dates when there is a previous ROE issued for the same employee.

July 28, 2023 at 12:12
            • Denise BurnettDenise Burnett
              Member since Apr 2022

The wrong reason selected for termination. I make sure to verify with HR which specific reason code should be used.

August 8, 2023 at 09:31
              • Karen LedoucerKaren Ledoucer
                Member since Sep 2022

I can relate to these scenarios above as well. In my recent position, I am noticing that it can sometimes be challenging to connect the dots in an employees life cycle because I cannot always easily find the history. We are now transitioning to electronic filing ( a method I am very familiar with). This makes things much easier 🙂

August 15, 2023 at 10:59
                • Harman Dhatt PCPHarman Dhatt PCP
                  Member since Sep 2022

Sometimes payroll professionals cannot complete box 15A correctly, especially if an employee is terminated and paid out severance. The professionals get confused between insurable earnings.

August 15, 2023 at 18:06
                  • Cathy StinzianoCathy Stinziano
                    Member since Apr 2022

I would say that Block 11 (last day paid) is probably a common error. Many people think it is the last day worked, but it is not in some cases.
                      The last day paid is not necessarily the last day worked (examples, employee was on scheduled vacation or on a salary continuance).

October 24, 2023 at 12:02
                    • Nicole Forbes PLPNicole Forbes PLP
                      Member since Sep 2022

Hello,
                        – Start date for an employee who preiously had an ROE completed.
                        – Last day worked\Last date paid.
                        – No earnings for the first pay period

October 24, 2023 at 13:53
                      • Lanelle BerardiLanelle Berardi
                        Member since Sep 2022

Start date for an employee who previously had an ROE submitted, casual employees who work on-call and infrequently

November 8, 2023 at 13:41
                        • Mark VaxmanMark Vaxman
                          Member since Oct 2023

thanks for the great info, will keep an eye out

November 22, 2023 at 14:07
                          • Caitlin Henderson, PCPCaitlin Henderson, PCP
                            Advocates Council

Some Common error’s I have encountered
                              – Reporting Pay in Lieu of Wages and Retiring Allowances
                              – Reason for separation is reported differently then what the employee expected. I get the most calls from Service Canada about this one.
                              – Overlapping ROE’s
                              – If your employer has a reduced EI rate, not exhausting all sick credits before issuing the ROE.
                              – If the employee is going on leave, confirming with the employee if they want to exhaust their vacation, banked time and sick accruals.
                              – If the employee is leaving the company, confirming with HR and the employees manager the final pay (checking on any OT owed, final days pay,
                              severance payments etc.)

November 24, 2023 at 10:30
                            • The topic ‘Record of Employment’ is closed to new replies.