Payroll Software Recommendations

• Devin LyonsDevin Lyons
    Member since Jul 2022

Hello. I currently work for a non profit that is growing and we are looking to update our payroll software. We have both union and non union employees. We need a payroll system that includes both scheduling and HR. The software will need to be able to create reports that can easily be imported into Sage. Thanks

July 8, 2022 at 17:25
    • Caitlin Henderson, PCPCaitlin Henderson, PCP
      Advocates Council

Hi Devin,

I work for a similar organization we are also a non-profit, have union and excluded staff and also use Sage as our accounting software. We switched to DayForce back in 2018 and all three departments; HR, payroll and finance use DayForce. It is quite the learning curve to start but it is great for how much you can customize it. Best of luck finding the best software for your needs.

You may also find some helpful tips in the thread about payroll software.

July 11, 2022 at 12:43
      • Kim ShermanKim Sherman
        Member since Aug 2022

Hi Devin

I work for a non-profit as well that includes both union and nonunion staff across all of Canada. I recently implemented the full suite of ADP workforce now modules. It is a great platform that allows you to customize to your needs and has a great custom reporting feature. Based on my research when shopping for my own platforms both Ceridian Dayforce and ADP Workforce now would provide what you are looking for.

August 16, 2022 at 10:41
        • Donna ParkerDonna Parker
          Member since Jul 2022

I’ve done a few implementations throughout my career. I’ll assume non profit means the lower the price tag the better. Both ADP and Ceridian will do the job. Just keep in mind the lower cost products out there (including ADP and Ceridian) you fit into their business model, very little customization. So flexibility is key.

Whether you are union or not, all software should be able to handle it. When are you planning on doing the implementation? What are you using now? Are the reports you need imported to Sage just the Payroll JE, or are you looking at other reports.

August 25, 2022 at 09:21
          • Lauren SoreLauren Sore
            Member since Sep 2022

I am in a similar situation but I am looking to keep payroll in house rather than using a 3rd party provider. The company has been doing in house for a number of years and to lose that history is difficult. We have looked at a few different programs and they all promise the same thing, ADP, VIP, Workday, Ceridian, Avanti etc.

We are struggling to find a system that will work for us.

September 19, 2022 at 16:27
              • Diane VandenbergDiane Vandenberg
                Member since Jun 2023

So which system did you choose? Just going through the interview process with several different companies…how was your implementation? Any advice on roadblocks would be helpful. Thanks! Diane

July 18, 2023 at 12:52
              • Erin RobinsonErin Robinson
                Member since Sep 2022

I feel like you should reach out to Payworks and see if they are able to meet your needs. I have really enjoyed working with/in the Payworks system since 2009.

In switching my current company from Ceridian PowerPay to Payworks I was able to save 50% on fees and it gave us way more in flexibility and functionality system wise. Let me know if you need a sales contact to set up a demo and I can pass along a contact.

September 20, 2022 at 13:16
                  • Tinuola OlubunmiTinuola Olubunmi
                    Member since Jun 2022

I used Payworks to process payroll for my previous company from 2021 to 2022. Very easy-to use software, my only issue is their report is not easy to generate.

July 27, 2023 at 16:28
                      • Erin RobinsonErin Robinson
                        Member since Sep 2022

I think that you are referring to a different system… Payworks reporting is extremely easy to set up and use. The payroll reports are drop-down lists and the ad-hoc reporting give you access to any and all field contained in the system, even user-defined fields from the HR module. Definately easier than Crystal Reports from back in the day or anything that has been available from Ceridian or ADP.

July 28, 2023 at 13:41
                    • Sonia PangSonia Pang
                      Member since Sep 2022

Hi Kim,

I am considering to switch from Ceridian Dayforce to ADP Workforce Now. I used Ceridian for more than 10 years. Their program is fine but their customer services are terrible. That’s the reason why I plan to switch it back to ADP. What challenges do you have in the implementation process with ADP? Can anyone tell me how good or bad ADP customer services are? Thank you.

September 27, 2022 at 16:44
                        • Michelle WongMichelle Wong
                          Member since Jun 2022

Hi Sonia,

Just curious if you ended up changing your payroll provider to ADP Workforce Now or not?

And if so, would you recommend them?

Thanks,
                            Michelle

December 7, 2023 at 11:56
                            • Sonia PangSonia Pang
                              Member since Sep 2022

Hi Michelle,

I switched from Ceridian to ADP in April this year and do not recommend ADP in this moment as they have too many bugs and uncertainties in the program. Since deployment, I have spoken with numerous supports in different area, TLM and Payroll who are kind of helpful but not knowledgeable. I escalated recently an issue of employees who work from home in Quebec but paid in Ontario. ADP told me they are unable to remit to CNESST for the employees and I have to remit to the government for these small group of employees. Their supports always suggest product feedback to their program developer for any issues they are unable to resolve or answer. It is very annoying. I’d wait not to change to them until their program is getting more mature.

Sonia

December 7, 2023 at 16:39
                          • Amy McShaneAmy McShane
                            Member since Sep 2022

I work in Municipal Government (essentially not-for-profit LOL) and we moved to Ceridian Dayforce in 2017, and use the full suite of modules for workforce management (schedules, timesheets, time away from work, compensation, performance), benefits, payroll and recruitment. We have two different unions, non-union hourly and salaried, and large casual pool of employees (both union and non-union). So, lots of different pay, schedule, and time away from work rules to manage. You can also work with them in during your implementation to build the reports that you need for import into Sage. We did that for the GL reports we needed for import into Great Plains.

October 17, 2022 at 15:52
                              • Amanda GrantmyreAmanda Grantmyre
                                Member since Apr 2023

Hi Amy,
                                  How has the customer support been so far? We are a municipality and looking to make a switch. Our current provider is iCity and we have really outgrown their platform.

June 13, 2023 at 14:25
                              • Trina Anderson, PCPTrina Anderson, PCP
                                Member since Aug 2022

We currently use ADP Workforce Now, the payroll and time and attendance module’s. We are going to be adding the HR component in the coming months. ADP has helped us streamline our payroll processes for both the regular and union employees.

June 13, 2023 at 14:43
                                • Diane VandenbergDiane Vandenberg
                                  Member since Jun 2023

What system did you choose? How was implementation?

July 18, 2023 at 12:53
                                  • Harman Dhatt PCPHarman Dhatt PCP
                                    Member since Sep 2022

I used Payworks. It has both payroll & HR components. It is user-friendly. The customer service is exceptional. The scheduling is easy to set up.

August 2, 2023 at 17:19
                                    • The topic ‘Payroll Software Recommendations’ is closed to new replies.