Implementing New Payroll Software

• Michelle WongMichelle Wong
    Member since Jun 2022

Just curious how much time do you think you spent on implementing your payroll system? ADP is suggesting it will take 2-3 hours for payroll during the analysis phase (which is only 2 weeks) and that would be where most of the time would be spent. And for the remaining weeks, it would only require about an hour’s worth of time for training and meetings.

However, I feel like the validation and production phase (running parallel runs) could potentially take more than 2-3 hours, depending on if there are any issues with reconciling, etc…

Do you think the above is a fair estimate of time spent?

I’m trying to gauge how much actual time is needed on this project.

September 7, 2023 at 17:38
    • Michelle HarrisMichelle Harris
      Member since Sep 2022

I’m not sure on how many employee’s /collective agreements..etc but 2-3 hours seems extremely low if you have never used the software before? I have not used ADP so I can’t speak to their platform. I have gone through implementation changes and I believe it was days/weeks. Running reports and calculations/scenarios in a test environment to ensure everything is running accurately.

September 12, 2023 at 10:45
      • Lisa LocherLisa Locher
        Member since Sep 2022

This time estimate seems very low. I have not implemented ADP but I have experience with other payroll system implementations. Payroll is one system/module that you want to complete without a hitch. I would insist on additional time and resources to be added to the schedule for analysis and testing (and ensure that they offer parallel system testing). It may even make sense to have one dedicated resource on this project (depending on the size of your payroll).

September 26, 2023 at 13:45
        • Dana NairnDana Nairn
          Member since Sep 2023

2-3 hours per day, sure.
            Not in total.

September 26, 2023 at 20:40
          • Bianca Mueller, CPBBianca Mueller, CPB
            Advocates Council

2-3 hours for payroll processing (per payrun) for companies with under 5 employees could work but only for simple straightforward payroll and no other payroll or HR tasks. That quoted time wouldn’t include any time/attendance verification, approvals, payment processing/ money movement, any new hires/onboarding, terminations, paystub distribution (if not done through software)…etc. There is so much more to payroll!
              Drives me crazy when software companies quote the amount of time they think you should spend. There are many variables to consider.

September 27, 2023 at 20:03
            • The topic ‘Implementing New Payroll Software’ is closed to new replies.