How has remote work affected your personal & professional life?

• Community ManagerCommunity Manager
    Community Manager

How has remote work affected your personal & professional life?

March 31, 2022 at 06:46
    • Denise BurnettDenise Burnett
      Member since Apr 2022

I have been working from home since early 2021. I enjoy the flexibility I have, as well as the focus I can achieve by having my own work space where I am able to control the volume and level of activity (which is appreciated after having shared an office with 3 other people). I appreciate the connectivity that updated technology has provided so that even while I am not interacting one on one with people, I can still interact visually with my colleagues. There is greater capability when it comes to meetings and shared workspace/presentations/documents. While others have grown to dislike Zoom over the last couple years, I feel that it has helped me accomplish tasks, training, troubleshooting more efficiently, especially when working across sites. People I would not normally have interacted with, because they are working from a different office site, are just a video call away. There has been some isolating moments but I am generally more task oriented at work so I don’t feel the loss of social interactions as strongly as some others do. I enjoy being able to being effective at work and also be present for my kids at the beginning of the day and then end of their day, take time out at lunch to be productive with home tasks or just be in a more relaxing environment if I need that time to relax and refresh. There are also days that I would normally not have felt well enough to go into work (I suffer with Chronic Migraine and office settings can contribute to a worsening condition), but working remotely has allowed me to still be able to do the work from a controlled environment, which has lead to less time off work. Overall, I would absolutely choose to continue working remotely.

April 13, 2022 at 13:23
        • Matthew MacPherson, PLPMatthew MacPherson, PLP
          Member since Jun 2022

I agree! I’ve love the work from home option. Unfortunately my employer has taken the stance that employees will be required, or have been required to come back to the office. Some have been able to continue and others have moved causing them to have to work remotely due to the distance. We’ve lost good employees looking for this option.

It was one of my first experiences seeing a disconnect of management and employees hierarchy of needs. As employees feel some needs are met, others become more important. Covid seems to have shifted some needs for employees and many workplaces are missing this.

June 21, 2022 at 10:29
              Member since Apr 2022

I agree that there needs to be communication between staff and management to fully explore and understand how working from home can be used in each environment. There are some roles in our organization that just can’t accommodate working from home. There are some that could strictly be remote work. And other are in between. Balance is key. Balancing the needs of the organization, clientele and teams. I appreciate that when working with a team, some face to face interaction is important for cultivating a cohesive team dynamic. Working from home does offer flexibility to staff and, when it can be accommodated with no cost or negative impact to the organization, I think it should be considered.

September 22, 2022 at 08:57
              • Véronique MarilleyVéronique Marilley
                Member since Jun 2022

For employers, remote working can be beneficial as rent expenses might go down.

July 7, 2023 at 12:34
              • Sam JohnsonSam Johnson
                Member since Oct 2022

It has massively benefited me as I returned from maternity during the pandemic and I was able to juggle home & work – easing back into the role.

February 23, 2023 at 08:11
              • Anonymous

Working from home has never been my thing, and for the bulk of the pandemic so far, I worked at the office. I changed jobs a couple of months ago and the new job has been fully remote although it will be moving to hybrid very soon. I have found that I don’t mind working from home as much as I thought I would. There are some opportunities to get some household things done on my breaks and lunch break, which is nice. We have also been able to get some renovations done around the house without taking time off as there is someone home for the contractors. Even though I’m working from home, I do still dress for work as I find it makes it easier for me to make the distinction between “work” me and “home” me. If I’m dressed for work, then I’m in work mode. I’ve also found it easier to get more “me” time in without having a commute and I’m saving lots of money on gas as well.

April 14, 2022 at 13:13
                • Nancy ChappelNancy Chappel
                  Member since Jun 2022

I have been working effectively from home since March of 2020. I have changed companies, reduced my hours, and love the flexibility working from home allows me. I use Zoom to collaborate with my colleagues and find there is less distractions than working in an open office space.

June 23, 2022 at 12:05
                      Member since Apr 2022

I really appreciate having less distractions as well and being able to control my environment. I have found I can be more efficient and have improved focus at home.

September 22, 2022 at 08:58
                    • KATE BROWNKATE BROWN
                      Member since Jun 2022

I have been working from home off and on, with full time home in March 2020 until Sept 2020. I loved it, sadly there were days I put in way too many hours, but I quickly learned how to not do that. I was able to spend time with the family – could hold conversations and work at the same time, listen to them practice music or watch them do their online gym classes 🙂 I was also able to spend the last few months of my puppers life with him without worrying about what was happening to him. I also changed jobs during the 2021 year, and have still continued to have the flexabilty to work from home when required. I also found that I was able to get more done, both at home and with work. I never really get up from my desk when I am in the office, but at home, I was able to get laundry, a little housework, etc done as those were easy 5 minutes away from the computer breaks and be home when contractors/repair people came and still worked.. I was/am in constant contact with co workers when I am at home, as my job requires the interaction. I love the idea of being able to choose whether I want to work from home for a day or in the office.

June 28, 2022 at 13:45
                      • Karen MannKaren Mann
                        Member since Aug 2022

From my aspect I was one that was asked to continue to work from the office for file look up and maintaining staff that were unable to work from home. I appreciated the quietness of the office, our communication was through jabber and it worked well with the 75% that were working from home. Our employer has requested that all staff move back to the office as long as they can maintain the 6 feet distancing. So we have about 5% at home and 95% in the office. Some found the transition back to the office difficult but we have been able to keep jabber so our communication is better than it was pre pandemic level.s

August 8, 2022 at 14:18
                        • Dayna MoralesDayna Morales
                          Member since Sep 2022

I have been working from home since March 2020. While most of my department thought it was going to be a difficult change, I have embraced it. I enjoy the flexibility of my hours as well as not having to drive, or take a train etc. every morning. I have found that my work/life balance has significantly improved and that I am much more happier and healthier. While there is less face to face social interactions with my co-workers, I have found that I am far more productive and my time management and productivity has increased. The meetings we have now seem to always stay on topic but still have a little fun chatting before and afterwards. During the 2020-2021 year, my company went though a lot of downsizing due to the industry crash and from Covid. My team of 2 reports were let go and I was left on my own to run the department. I was so lucky to have the most amazing manager that opened me up to connecting with the American and Latin American PR teams to become a super team. I have been given the opportunity to learn multiple countries payrolls and I am now responsible for 2 Latin American Payrolls and 3 Canadian Payrolls. I have been given so many learning opportunities despite the fact that I am 100% remote and in a different country. My job has become my dream job and I am enjoying every minute of it.

September 13, 2022 at 22:40
                          • Martina Heine, PLPMartina Heine, PLP
                            Member since Sep 2022

At first, working remotely from home was okay; personally and professionally. As the months went on, I found I wasn’t enjoying it so much. I missed my office and the personal interactions with my staff and fellow colleagues. I found I was putting in way too many hours and was not dressing for ‘work mode’. I lost interest in my job and actually resigned and moved onto another organization where as Managers we worked from home a few days a week and a few days in the office. We are all back in the office fulltime, however can work from home when needed. I think having the option or offering a hybrid version should be something organizations offer as for the most part, it’s been proven that people can work successfully from home.

October 3, 2022 at 11:56
                            • Anonymous

I love working from home. I am very productive. I also like the flexibility not to commute long hours in traffic. Now I will work hybrid, 2 day from the office. I am exited also because I will be able to meet the rest of the team.

March 3, 2023 at 21:15
                              • Mathew perryMathew perry
                                Member since Mar 2023

At first remote work was okay. I loved working from home but I realized that working from the office is better. It is so hard to get a working vibe at home that I can’t concentrate on my work properly.

March 28, 2023 at 02:31
                                • Stacey Wood PCPStacey Wood PCP
                                  Advocates Council

Having the ability to work remotely was required for me during the pandemic, as our businesses are essential & continued working throughout. Now that we’re back in-office tho, I do find that this is my preference–I’m a bit more productive here. I also like to keep my personal & professional areas as separate as I can, which is so much easier in-office. The commute is my time to “shift gears” so-to-speak, getting into the workday mindset, or turning up the music & leaving work behind on the way home.

April 28, 2023 at 10:48
                                  • Harman Dhatt PCPHarman Dhatt PCP
                                    Member since Sep 2022

I enjoyed working from home. I was able to give my kids and family more time than normal. But after September 2022, we were told to be in office 100%. We lost good employees due to this. I can’t talk about others but I was more productive and able to achieve my goals when I was working from home.

May 8, 2023 at 19:17
                                    • Margaret GenettiMargaret Genetti
                                      Member since Jul 2022

I loved working from home AFTER home-schooling was done. I found that when my daughter was attending school virtually, was less productive. Once she returned. I was able to achieve SO MUCH. Work was getting done. Housework was getting done. I had more ‘home’ time in the evenings and weekends.
                                        We went back in July 2022. I wish we could be hybrid.

June 13, 2023 at 14:06
                                      • Lanelle BerardiLanelle Berardi
                                        Member since Sep 2022

I prefer to be in the office full time, even during COVID I’d come in 2-3 days a week. I found while I was at home I’d be at my desk earlier and later than my shift as there was no commute, I’d forget to take breaks or eat lunch at odd times. I missed the human contact too, and being able to have discussions in person. I have on-boarded many employees in the last 3 years that if they came up to me today, I’d have no idea who they are. To me, Human Resources needs the human touch.

June 13, 2023 at 15:34
                                        • Ezmina KassamEzmina Kassam
                                          Member since Sep 2022

I enjoy the flexibility of working from home and we are allowed to work remotely if we are out of town. Once a week we go to the office. It saves time traveling the distance.

July 6, 2023 at 11:34
                                          • Mai-Liz HahmoMai-Liz Hahmo
                                            Member since Jun 2022

i have been working from home since March 2020 and I absolutely love it. I work the regular hours but have the flexibility to start sooner or work later when I need to. Starting in January of this year (2023), I go into the office one day a week – not required but just nice to do.

The staff works a hybrid style – everyone was able to choose what they wanted with a few restrictions. Most managers were expected to be in the office 2 or 3 days a week or as required if needed for in-person meetings.
                                              Some staff comes in every day, others do 2 or 3 days a week in office and a few have been able to work 100% from home, only coming into the office when required.
                                              So far, this seems to be a happy balance for everyone.

August 16, 2023 at 12:11
                                            • Michelle HarrisMichelle Harris
                                              Member since Sep 2022

Our office stayed open through the pandemic. There were options to work remotely if it was functional for your department. We still have some hybrid workers but 98% work in the office. I found working from home there were way to many distractions!!

August 29, 2023 at 12:58
                                              • Andrea MangiardiAndrea Mangiardi
                                                Member since Aug 2023

In February 2020 the place I was working went into receivership and closed. I lucked out and through a coworker got another job starting March 15 2020. I really lucked out as the job was supposed to be work from home. The previous job, I would beg them sometimes to let me go work from home for the afternoon as I would get so much more accomplished that way – no disruptions as nobody else was home at the time. Now working from full time for the past 3.5 years I love it. I get a lot done in less time than I would have been able to working in an office. Now the downfall of working from home – sometimes switching from “work” to “home” just doesn’t happen – I’ll work until 8 or 9 at night – sometimes I’ll forget its supper time and then need to scramble to figure something out. I find that working from home brings other challenges as well since people think it is great being home all day you can get all your housework etc done, but that just isn’t the case I work more hours since I have a hard time switching off. Note – I am the only one in the company that works from home, everyone else is in the office full time. I have that working from home also greatly reduces the social contact, the ability to have just general discussions “water cooler talk” that you would get in the office. Thankfully I was able to attend conferences again this year to get some of that professional social contact that I was much needing.

August 30, 2023 at 07:28
                                                • Tracy OlesTracy Oles
                                                  Member since Sep 2022

I have been working from home since March 2020. It was a bit of a rough road at first, ensuring I had all the necessary tools I needed, and was really a godsend in May of 2020 as I was in an ATV accident where I fractured my pelvis among other injuries and if I hadn’t been able to work from home, I would have had to take a great deal of time off, with no back up at that point, and again a year ago I managed to fall off a 2ft ladder and fracture the same pelvic bone and again thankful I was still working from home! (one of my kids bought me a big package of bubble wrap for Christmas to wrap myself in:))
                                                    I find I am more productive from home as I don’t have coworkers in my office chatting, however that is also the part that I do miss sometimes, so now I go into the office at least one morning a week. Over the years in office, I had built and maintained so many great relationships with staff throughout the organization, but now from home the last 3.5 years, I haven’t established as many of those relationships with the new hires in that time period, and at times feel like I am missing that. On the flip side, my overall feeling is that working from home has given me a better work life balance, as I can flex hours if needed and am not worried that if I have personal/family things that need to be tended to, that I would fall behind in work.

September 14, 2023 at 13:05
                                                  • Kiki TanKiki Tan
                                                    Member since Oct 2023

I have been working from home since August of 2023. (Very late to the party). We have flex work arrangement 3 days in office and 2 days at home. It would be nice to work from home all 5 days. working from home means less commute time, less struggle getting from point A to point B going to office and back home everyday – less money and time spent.
                                                      I feel I work more at home since the computer is readily available to check emails and respond. Sometimes I can pick up something from the fridge and not buy something from outside – again less money and time spent.
                                                      I get to get to work on time and get off work on time and be home “early” to do more than sit in traffic getting home. Work from home also means no competition in booking board rooms as we need quiet space for interviews and meetings.
                                                      My work is fairly independent and there’s barely face-to-face interaction that our MS Teams can’t handle. I can have meetings all day, but with technology, this gets easier to just chat/video others within the organization. I could say I wish we could do 5 days of work from home.

Our organization heavily relies on paper and pen still, so it’s not possible to offer wfh options for other departments.

October 9, 2023 at 09:52
                                                    • Mark VaxmanMark Vaxman
                                                      Member since Oct 2023

helps me actually balance things better I think

November 24, 2023 at 22:23
                                                      • The topic ‘How has remote work affected your personal & professional life?’ is closed to new replies.