How do you manage stress and anxiety at work?

• Community ManagerCommunity Manager
    Community Manager

How do you manage stress and anxiety at work?

March 31, 2022 at 06:45
    • Denise BurnettDenise Burnett
      Member since Apr 2022

In a fast paced environment with competing priorities and expectations, I find what works for me is to apply the analogy from Desmond Tutu – “there is only one way to eat an elephant: a bite at a time.” I am big on lists and prioritizing tasks. Finding the low hanging fruit and quicky removing it from my list and then identifying what needs to be worked on next by urgency and time required. By documenting what needs to be done and seeing it all clearly laid out, it immediately feels more manageable and puts me in control. By quickly accomplishing easy tasks, I feel more capable, competent and less overwhelmed. When the tasks seem insurmountable and there is no plan of attack, that is when the wheels start spinning and you can become overwhelmed. Having a plan helps me focus and allows me to see the steps I need to take to climb the mountain instead of just the looming mountain itself. Understanding that the plan will most definitely change and priorities will need to be tweaked is also a way to prevent unnecessary anxiety. Also being able to identify the difference between feeling busy and challenged vs. overwhelmed and stressed is important. Use the adrenaline to propel you forward instead of bogging you down.

April 13, 2022 at 12:41
      • Lauren WallaceLauren Wallace
        Member since May 2022

Taking a lunch break outside. So often when we are super busy and have tons on our plates, we ” work through lunch” to get things done. BUT by end of day we are actually more burnt out ,then if we had of stopped and rejuvinated. A quick walk , or even sitting at a picnic table, park bench , or meeting a friend for coffee. This time gives your brain a chance to stop thinking of all the things that are on the list .I am much more productive when I have taken time to recharge. Good strategy is to enlist a partner at work. When one of you does not feel like going for that walk, and the other keeps you accountable . And once your outside your definately glad you went. Studies have proven that time in nature is restorative, so if your walk includes trees , thats a bonus.

May 5, 2022 at 10:45
            Member since Apr 2022

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I find sometimes when I am working on something complicated and just can’t seem to get it figured out, if I take a moment to step away, let my mind refresh, I come back to the problem and, more often than not, I am able to figure it out almost immediately. Our brains need a break to work at their greatest capacity.

May 30, 2022 at 12:27
            • Kristi Rensby, CPMKristi Rensby, CPM
              Member since Jun 2022

My sister-in-law works in A/P out of the same office I do. It’s great as we usually walk together at lunch. I am definitely a work thru lunch person (so is she) so being accountable to our walk buddy makes a big difference for us getting out and letting our brains have a break.

June 29, 2022 at 20:03
              • Lisa LocherLisa Locher
                Member since Sep 2022

I agree to taking a lunch break away from the office if I’m feeling stressed. I really enjoy having lunch alone in a restaurant. It gives me time to myself, and as an introvert, I really enjoy that!

October 19, 2023 at 22:11
              • Anonymous

I make to do lists to prioritize and plan what needs to be done to ensure that I have plenty of time to complete my work to meet deadlines. I take my lunch break every day and away from my desk. I try to get some fresh air and exercise every day. I disconnect from work at the end of the day.

May 9, 2022 at 15:39
                    Member since Apr 2022

To do lists are what keep me in line and focused by helping me visualize my priorities and planning my day. I find they are also gratifying because when I can stroke things off my list, I feel like I am accomplishing things and moving in the right direction. It is good to be able to see your progress.

May 30, 2022 at 12:29
                      • Josh RuitersJosh Ruiters
                        Member since May 2022

I put the most mundane tasks on my list, just so I can check them off as done!

June 6, 2022 at 10:03
                        • Lisa LocherLisa Locher
                          Member since Sep 2022

I am a big fan of “to-do” lists as well. It helps us keep track of things that we’ve accomplished (even on the days that we feel like we’ve accomplished nothing). It also provides a bit of order and helps with prioritization.

October 19, 2023 at 22:17
                      • Caitlin Henderson, PCPCaitlin Henderson, PCP
                        Advocates Council

I have timers on my phone a few times a day to get up and stretch. I find the days that I just dismiss the timers I am not nearly as happy at the end of the day. Healthy body, healthy mind!

June 13, 2022 at 13:25
                        • Mary CordeaMary Cordea
                          Member since Sep 2022

When I am having a good or great day, it feels like all stars are aligned.
                            And when I have a bad day and it feels like I may be drowning and all I wish for is to put that day behind me, I have to remind myself that I am the exact same person that just a day ago had a great day. And my mind sets automatically to that frame of mind: “the next day I will have a great day again”! This is what I am striving to achieve the next day. And if this is not going to happen the very next day, I do not get discouraged and with a positive goal in front of my eyes, I continue my journey.

Make my: “My list that may or may not get done today!” to keep tasks on track. Some of my decompressing actions at work are, taking a pause to collect and organize my thoughts, parking the task for another day if possible, and brainstorming with co-workers. Outside of work I exercise regularly to help with life balance. I can run 10km on those high-stress days. lol, I always pay myself with love.

September 14, 2022 at 19:11
                          • Stacey Wood PCPStacey Wood PCP
                            Advocates Council

Remembering “Today is not forever!” Having a great support system–both at work & outside of it–is also key for me. Keeping a to-do list & taking great joy in being able to mark items off of it. Oh & coffee!

September 19, 2022 at 12:12
                            • Martina Heine, PLPMartina Heine, PLP
                              Member since Sep 2022

Speaking with my Director openly and honestly about issues or concerns. Sometimes I seek advice, and sometimes I just need to let my opinions out in a ‘safe space’.

September 20, 2022 at 13:03
                                • Lisa LocherLisa Locher
                                  Member since Sep 2022

I really like this, Martina. It is important for you to have a trusting and transparent relationship with the person you report to. Being able to trouble-shoot or brainstorm together is fulfilling and creates a stronger understanding of each other.

October 19, 2023 at 22:15
                                • Mathew perryMathew perry
                                  Member since Mar 2023

After work, I play football with my friends on the turf. It is a great relief playing football after a stressful work day. I avoid my phone and my laptop and I spend time with my friends.

March 28, 2023 at 02:43
                                  • Yauheni SaladukhaYauheni Saladukha
                                    Community Manager

I prefer doing exercises every hour

July 13, 2023 at 05:31
                                    • Anonymous

Twice a week I play volleyball with my friends, try to spend my free time on fresh air as much as possible.

July 20, 2023 at 07:31
                                      • Heather ShawHeather Shaw
                                        Member since May 2022

Prioritizing and positive self-talk. If my inbox or to-do list is quite full at the beginning of the day I know that it will be much improved by the end of the day, no matter how hard it might be to imagine that at 8 am. Make sure you run through and see what is most important or time-sensitive and do those first. Anything that can be done easily and in a short amount of time can be done next. That just helps to shorten the lists quickly and give you a little boost. Thirdly, just start chipping away at your tasks. It also doesn’t hurt to have a friend at work to talk to when things are really stressful. Always take your breaks. I would rather stay 30-60 minutes late at the end of the day than skip my lunch break. I use that to get away from my desk and chip away at my personal to-do list. 🙂

October 19, 2023 at 14:12
                                        • Wedian IbrahimWedian Ibrahim
                                          Member since Sep 2022

Take a break, walk outside and get some fresh air. Listen to slow music.

November 8, 2023 at 15:05
                                          • Heather ShawHeather Shaw
                                            Member since May 2022

For me, getting enough sleep is pretty important. Having ‘me’ time and for me that is a nice hot bath every day with a good book or a favorite magazine. It might only be for 20 minutes but still necessary. Having a friend at work to talk to. And last but not least: positive self-talk and knowing that this too shall pass.

November 8, 2023 at 15:41
                                            • Mark VaxmanMark Vaxman
                                              Member since Oct 2023

I try to spend more times outdoors, like going fishing and things

November 22, 2023 at 14:06
                                              • The topic ‘How do you manage stress and anxiety at work?’ is closed to new replies.