Extra paid time off for employees who are scheduled to take exams.

• Lady Lee BenitezLady Lee Benitez
    Member since Sep 2022

I wonder if other organizations offer extra paid time off to their employees who take exams, such as CPA or CFA exams?

July 27, 2023 at 15:59
    • Kathryn HillKathryn Hill
      Advocates Council

I worked for a company that allowed employees to record the exact number of hours they worked and then the employees were allowed to use this time when they needed time off for exams, family situations or other special needs. After having spent 8.5 years at night taking my 15 CGA courses on top of working fulltime to successfully achieve my CGA designation, I can truly relate to the need to help an employee out in preparation for exams. In the long run, the effort the employee is making to improve themselves will pay off for the employer. Just think about the employee working fulltime, doing the courses at night and also being supportive to their family. Maybe one option is to allow the employee to take off a set number of days to prepare for the exam and then have them make-up the time later by adding a 1/2 hour a day to their schedule. Flexibility and support is key to a successful employer

July 28, 2023 at 00:35
      • Michelle HarrisMichelle Harris
        Member since Sep 2022

If an employee is scheduled during working hours to take an exam we will pay for those hours as staff development. Or in some cases if they have to go to Vancouver or out of town to take the exam in person we will also pay for that day as a staff development day.

August 4, 2023 at 11:07
        • Denise BurnettDenise Burnett
          Member since Apr 2022

If the work is relevant to their role, our organization allows for some paid time off for study purposes, as long as it is approved previously. There is also some reimbursement for school costs available.

August 8, 2023 at 09:42
          • Harman Dhatt PCPHarman Dhatt PCP
            Member since Sep 2022

We cover the costs of training if it is related to their work. The employees use their banked hours or vacation to write down the exam.

August 14, 2023 at 12:03
            • Mai-Liz HahmoMai-Liz Hahmo
              Member since Jun 2022

If the cost of training is job-related, then prior approval is required. Once approval is received, some or all costs are reimbursed to the employee. This can also include time off for the writing of exams or sometimes even 1/2 days for study time prior to the exams.

August 16, 2023 at 11:56
              • Rosalita O'NeillRosalita O’Neill
                Member since Sep 2022

My company was very generous in granting paid time off to study for payroll exams and also paid time off to take the exams. They also reimbursed me for tuition costs and annual membership costs.

August 16, 2023 at 11:59
                  • Caitlin Henderson, PCPCaitlin Henderson, PCP
                    Advocates Council

When I was taking the PCP courses my company offered the same. They paid for my tuition and membership costs and allowed me time off for exams, studying and when it was a slow day I could work on class work during working hours. They are had a budget for employee education and it was a use it or lose it funding that could only be used for education. I was so grateful for the opportunity and amazing flexibility they offered.

November 28, 2023 at 10:04
                  • Lisa StewartLisa Stewart
                    Member since Sep 2022

I worked for a company that allowed 1 day off for final exams and one day off for studying for the final exams, for bigger exams more time off was considered. I had an employee who was taking a 3 day exam, they requested 2 weeks prep and the 3 days off which was accepted. These days off had to be submitted prior to taking them off. It didn’t matter what the course was for, we considered any education to be for the betterment of the employee and therefore for the betterment of the company.
                      The same company would pay for any non job related post secondary courses at 80% of cost as long as the employee received 80% as their final grade, half of the money was given to the employee upon registration and the other half after completion- if the final grade was below 80% they did not receive the second payment. Additionally if the employee took a course related to their job we paid 100% if the employee passed with a grade higher than 80% and if the employee passed with a lower grade we paid 80%. Again all courses had to be submitted prior to registration.

August 16, 2023 at 12:08
                    • Nola Lamoureux SpierenburgNola Lamoureux Spierenburg
                      Member since Jun 2022

For CPA courses we give 1 study day and 1 exam day for each course. For the CFE we provide 4 study days as well as time for the exam. We expect our students to use at least 2 weeks of vacation before the exam and offer unpaid leave as well.

August 16, 2023 at 12:24
                      • Kirsty MaddenKirsty Madden
                        Member since Jun 2022

We have an education policy that includes covering the cost of specific courses related to the employee’s position and paid time off for studying and exam taking purposes. I think all businesses need to support the continued development of their employee’s and set the up for success.

August 16, 2023 at 12:45
                        • Jana McLeanJana McLean
                          Member since Apr 2022

For professional development we cover all costs for the course and materials , exams etc. . We also have a $1500 annual personal development fund for employees to take whatever courses or classes they like . They don’t have to be related to their job . We have had people take cooking courses , dance classes , golf lessons etc . the employee gets approval up front , then takes their course or class , provides proof they completed it and are then reimbursed . We encourage our staff to learn something new .. you never know if that class may be of use some day in their every day job or another position in the company they are interested in .

August 16, 2023 at 14:39
                            • Denise BurnettDenise Burnett
                              Member since Apr 2022

That is an awesome program for personal development. I love that! A person that is always learning stays sharp and fulfilled, and that has got to have a positive impact on their work lives too.

August 16, 2023 at 16:26
                            • Stacey Wood PCPStacey Wood PCP
                              Advocates Council

We cover expenses for professional development, & have typically provided paid time as well for study or exams, as needed.

August 17, 2023 at 09:44
                              • Martina Heine, PLPMartina Heine, PLP
                                Member since Sep 2022

Wow – very impressive to see so many organizations offering various benefits!!

August 17, 2023 at 13:10
                                • Lady Lee BenitezLady Lee Benitez
                                  Member since Sep 2022

Thanks everyone for sharing!! Very impressive to see different approach and policy other organization has. Very insightful!

August 17, 2023 at 14:42
                                  • Marites San AntonioMarites San Antonio
                                    Member since Sep 2022

Yes as long as it is job related and for a betterment that help you on the job.

August 22, 2023 at 10:43
                                    • Waleed AmmariWaleed Ammari
                                      Member since Oct 2023

My company covers the training cost but the employee have to take the time off for his/her exams

November 29, 2023 at 12:43
                                      • Leslie AlbrightLeslie Albright
                                        Member since Mar 2023

We give the day to take an exam.
                                          Leslie

December 14, 2023 at 18:26
                                        • The topic ‘Extra paid time off for employees who are scheduled to take exams.’ is closed to new replies.