Deferral Programs

• Michelle HarrisMichelle Harris
    Member since Sep 2022

We had our first salary deferral this pay and was wondering how many organizations provide access to “Defined” or “Un-defined” programs. Municipal Pension Plan when I contacted them had not had a “case” so I am interested to see how many other organizations do this. It is a very administrative process so I can see why not too many places to provide the option.

July 27, 2023 at 15:55
    • Kathryn HillKathryn Hill
      Advocates Council

I worked for a company that decided to have a “summer workday” program (work 4 days in the summer), so employees got every Friday off all summer and then they were to work extra time each week in the September to December period to offset the hours they did not work in the summer. Sounded good on paper but it was a nightmare for HR and Payroll staff. This was in a company with over 1200 employees! If an employee left the company or went on Maternity or sick leave with EI, I had to recalculate every summer pay cheque, adjusting CPP, EI and taxes and then adjust their final pay, record of employment etc. I have not had specific experience with “salary deferrals” but the key is to ensure the rules of the program are clear up-front so everyone knows the consequences of choosing to defer salary.

July 28, 2023 at 00:44
          Member since Sep 2022

eeek 1200 people!!! That would be a huge administration nightmare! Especially when the funds have to be held in a separate trust account and they earn the interest on that money!!

July 28, 2023 at 11:04
        • Martina Heine, PLPMartina Heine, PLP
          Member since Sep 2022

At my previous Employer, there was a prescribed deferred salary program. The terms and conditions had to comply with the requirements of the Income Tax Act and Income Tax Regulations. A percentage of an employee’s annual gross salary could be deferred and there was a minimum and maximum leave period. The amount of salary deferred was not included in their income in the year it was earned, but rather when it was paid on their leave of absence.

August 17, 2023 at 13:38
              Member since Sep 2022

This can definitely get convoluted! With the different types of deferrals….I hope we don’t have one again for a long time!

October 3, 2023 at 22:49
            • Harman Dhatt PCPHarman Dhatt PCP
              Member since Sep 2022

This is a significant liability and requires a lot of admin work. There are chances of errors as well. We don’t provide this option in our company.

August 17, 2023 at 14:54
              • Heather ShawHeather Shaw
                Member since May 2022

We offer a deferral program. Only 2 employees have taken advantage of it in 10 years. 20% of their salary, pre-tax, is put into a trust fund each month for 5 years. In the sixth year, they are paid 1/12th of what’s in the trust account, including interest. When we pay them the deferred amount, we take the source deductions.

October 3, 2023 at 14:01
                    Member since Sep 2022

Is that a prescribed deferral ? Do you have collective agreements?

October 3, 2023 at 22:50
                      • Heather ShawHeather Shaw
                        Member since May 2022

We have Collective Agreements but it is an internal Administrative Procedure that outlines how the deferral plan works.

October 5, 2023 at 15:56
                    • Maureen Niittynen, PCPMaureen Niittynen, PCP
                      Advocates Council

I work in the education sector and salary deferral programs are in the Collective Agreements and we administer them. They are a lot of work and there is perhaps about 40% of those that start the program that subsequently cancel. There are a number of employers that charge an administrative fee to those that cancel, my employer does not. There are many taxing rules that require additional configuration such as the taxing, CPP and EI with respect to the deferral amount. Our Municipal Pension Plan requires its member to pay both shares of their pension while on this leave whereas the Teachers Pension Plan does not.

December 5, 2023 at 09:10
                      • The topic ‘Deferral Programs’ is closed to new replies.